- Convergence technologies, including continued development of mobile devices. 12 ATAR
What is it?
- To converge means to meet at a point
- Convergence is the act of meeting at a point
- In technology, this means that products converge when they evolve to perform similar tasks
- An example of convergence in technology is a smartphone capable of taking photos (camera + phone = camera phone)
Why is it important?
- As technology evolves, more and more features and tasks need to be addressed
- Instead of creating individual devices for each of these tasks, we can create one device to perform multiple
- Convenience is priority, a smartphone is capable of handling the tasks of a camera, telephone and a computer (to an extent)
Mobile devices & convergence
- As mentioned, convenience is a large factor in convergence
- The ability to carry a single pocket-sized device with the capability of 4 devices is highly sought after in today's world
- Mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets are very good at handling these types of tasks that are common in other devices
- Such as: taking photos, browsing the Internet, playing games, taking notes, taking calls & messaging, viewing emails, etc.
- Smart Watches and TVs are the latest in technological convergence, the former allowing for these functions from your own wearable device
Example of technological convergence
- 4 Examples of Convergent technology here
Found an error or have an enhancement? Please let us know via this contact form