- Environmental issues related to the disposal of computer components. 12 ATAR
- It's important to recycle and dispose correctly of all computer systems and electronics.
- Many electronics contain harmful chemicals.
- These chemicals can negatively affect our environment.
- Recycling also benefits our economy, as less resources are used in gathering new materials since old materials are re-used.
The WRONG way
- Do not simply throw your old computer or electronics in the household trash.
- Giving old computers to exportation companies for developing nations isn't advised, as it's just passing the disposal problem on to a country or community that may not be able to afford correct disposal.
The RIGHT way
- You should have your old computers and electronics collected by electronic waste recycling facilities
- Advancements in these facilities now mean between 95% - 98% of the electronics can be recycled
Potential harmful chemicals in electronics
- Barium, Beryllium, Brominated Flame Retardants, Cadmium, Hexavalent Chromium, Lead, Mercury, Plastics
- All of these chemicals and components have the ability to negatively affect our environment if not dealt with correctly.
- Check out eWaste here
Step 6 - Worksheet and Practice (yet to be added)
Found an error or have an enhancement? Please let us know via this contact form