- Role of drivers. 12 ATAR
Role of Drivers
- A device driver, or simply referred to as a driver, is a program that controls devices attached to a computer system.
- Drivers act as a translator between a piece of hardware and the operating system.
- Operating systems often come with many pre-installed drivers in order to function. Common drivers are for graphics card, network interface cards and even drivers to support peripherals such as your mouse and keyboard.
- Essentially, a driver is used to convert general input and output commands from the operating systems to instructions that the device, such as a printer or display, can understand.
Summary of Main Points
- Driver = software used to manage devices on a computer system
- Acts as a translator between the device and the Operating System
Step 5 - Further Research
Step 6 - Worksheet and Practice (yet to be added)
Found an error or have an enhancement? Please let us know via this contact form