- purpose of benchmarking to determine system performance; software, hardware and operating system 12 ATAR
Benchmark originates from ...
- bench = you put the test item on the work bench.
- mark = what result the item received.
- Other uses; a benchmark price is a reference point for setting a price, a benchmark in surveying is a point of reference for a measurement for a block of land.
- Computer system performance = how well the computer is going for the resources it has got.
- Software benchmarks = test results for the applications used in computing.
- Hardware benchmarks = test results for hardware items in computing. This is the most common.
- Operating system benchmarks = test results for how well the operating system performs compared to other operating systems.
- Benchmarking = the act of conducting tests to measure performance of parts within a computer system.
What is it?
- Benchmarking, testing to measure hardware and/or software performance.
- Benchmarking = measurement testing.
- Benchmarking = testing for software, operating systems and most commonly hardware items.
- A benchmark is a test result for a product.
Why do it? or How do we use it?
- Benchmarking = public see a comparison of similar products.
- Benchmarking = also used by individuals to test their own computers.
- Companies = test products compared to other similar products.
- Geekbench CPUs here
- OS benchmarking here
- Game benchmarking here
- Software benchmarking eg database here
Found an error or have an enhancement? Please let us know via this contact form