- Network terms; analogue, digital, ethernet, bandwidth, protocols
- Speaking is an example of analogue sound. There are thousands of others like dogs barking and other natural sounds.
- The sound wave goes through the air and is received by our ear.
- A sound wave is different to the digital wave as it has far more content and quality.
- A digital wave takes some pieces of the analogue wave at set times and digitizes them.
- The analogue sound wave has extra information in it that is not needed.
- For example in the analogue sound wave there are sound frequencies the human ear cannot hear.
- A sound coming from a computer is a digital sound.
- It can be made on the computer from the beginning like some techno music.
- It can be copied onto the computer like when you record your voice.
- The digital sound wave is not rounded like the analogue sound wave. It is squared off at peaks.
- When we use video conferencing like Skype, our analogue voice is converted to digital, sent over computer in digital, then converted back to analogue so it can be heard at the other end.
- In networking, it is the digital signal that is carried through the network.
- Is a collection of technology based on a standard called IEEE 802.3
- It is wired with Cat5, Cat6, Coaxial and fiber optic (glass) mediums.
- Ethernet divides data into frames which have source and destination addresses built in.
- It also has error checking, to resend, if parts are damaged.
- The alternative to ethernet is wireless which uses the IEEE 802.11 standard.
- Used with download and upload when using the internet.
- How much data can be transferred in a period of time.
- It is measured in bits per second bps, megabits per second mbps
- Rules that explain the setup of the communication.
- When companies make software for networking, they must follow the protocols.
- For example a new FTP software, must follow the FTP protocols so it works with all computers.
- Without protocols or rules, the network devices wouldn't know how to work with other network devices.
- Examples are HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, WAP, FTP, TCP, SSL, Bitcoin
Found an error or have an enhancement? Please let us know via this contact form