- Character, number, date/time, currency, text/string, Boolean (true/false). 11 ATAR, 12 GEN
- A data type lets a computer system know how to deal with each piece of given information
- It applies certain rules and functions when dealing with specific data types
- Each data type contains a different range of values and boundaries
- Data types allow us to keep clean, organised and effective databases
Common Data Types
Contains a single value of a number, letter or symbol
Stored fixed and floating point data types.
|Date / Time||Date: stores the year, month and day values
Time: stores the hours, minutes and second values
Timestamps generally reference the beginning from Jan 1st, 1970. See if you can find out why!
Used to store data that is used for monetary values or financial calculations
Text / String
|Used to store an ordered set of symbols
A string contains multiple characters
Boolean (True / False)
|Used to define a true / false statement
This can also be thought of as on / off
Often used as FLAGS for developers
- Read more about data types across different SQL programs here
- Read more about data types in programming here
- Read more from IGCSE ICT here
Found an error/enhancement on this page? Please let us know via the contact form under the Home menu item.