- Data manipulation. 12 ATAR
- To manipulate data means to change or process information
- Data can be manipulated in order to make it easier to read, to organize certain elements or to change the information completely
- The manipulation of data is common in applications such as websites, where data is concurrently being selected and updated, or even inserted or deleted
- Data manipulation langauges (DML's) such as SQL are utilised to manipulate data from sources such as databases
Common DML Commands
- SELECT: This command is used to ouput a list of rows (or record) from a database.
- Syntax: SELECT [x] FROM [y] WHERE [z]
- UPDATE: This command is used to alter the data from one or more tables.
- Syntax: UPDATE [x] SET [y] WHERE [z]
- INSERT: This command is used to add one or more entries to a database table.
- Syntax: INSERT INTO [x] [y] VALUES [z]
- DELETE: This command removes one or more entries from a database table depending on the conditions.
- Syntax: DELETE FROM [y] WHERE [z]
Worksheet and Practice (yet to be added)
Found an error or have an enhancement? Please let us know via this contact form